Masoor Dal Tadka (Serves 2)
Prep & Cook Time: 30mins
Serves: 2 pax
Masoor Dal Tadka is a simple and delicious lentil curry soup made with red lentils, one of the most common and popular dal in India. We prefer our cauliflower baked but if you wish to make it a one pot dish, feel free to cook the cauliflower in the dal. A vegan dish that is super easy to prepare, delicious and healthy too.
From Our Kit
– Red Lentils x 150g
– Cauliflower x 200g
– Yellow Onion x 1
– Garlic x 10g
– Green Chilli x 1
– Crushed Tomato Sauce x 100g
– Basmati Rice x 160g
– Curry Powder
– Ground Coriander
– Ground Cumin
From Your Kitchen
– Small Frying Pan
– Medium Saucepan / Pot with Lid
– Rice Cooker / Pot with Lid
– Convection Oven (optional)
– Chopping Board
– Salt / Sugar / Pepper
How To Cook
1. Wash and pat dry all fresh produce.
2. Soak red lentils in a bowl of water while prepping other ingredients.
3. Peel and chop garlic, onion and green chilli finely. Set aside.
4. Cut cauliflower into florets.
1. Wash rice grains till water turns clear.
2. For rice cooker, add water to 1 cup rice mark and operate your rice cooker accordingly.
3. For pot cooking method, add about 180ml of water or using your index finger, place it in the pot vertically. The tip of your finger touches the surface of the rice and the water level should be at your first crease/joint of your finger.
4. Put to cook on high heat till water is boiling. Turn heat to low and cook till all liquid is absorbed. Allow rice to steam in the pot covered with heat turned off.
PREPARE RED LENTILS
1. Drain red lentils and pour into your saucepan/pot.
2. Add in 1.5-2 cups of water (approx. 300-400ml).
3. Bring it to a boil, cover and simmer.
4. Skim off any foam that collects on top.
You can either bake the cauliflower and add it to the finished dal or add it into dal and boil.
Baked Cauliflower Method:
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Drizzle a little olive oil or vegetable oil over florets, you may season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat well.
3. Bake cauliflower for 15mins or till edges are crisp.
4. Remove and set aside.
Cooking in Dal Method:
1. Add florets into dal 15mins before dal is cooked through.
FINISH YOUR DISH
1. Heat a small frying pan with vegetable oil.
2. Add in chopped onions, fry till fragrant and add in chopped garlic and green chilli.
3. Fry all aromatics till fragrant.
4. Add in combined spices, fry till you can smell the aroma from the spices.
5. Pour in crushed tomato sauce and stir to combine well.
6. Pour this combined tadka into the pot of dal, give it a good stir. Continue to cook till dal is cooked through and thickened up.
7. Serve with hot, steamy basmati rice.