Vegan Japanese Curry Katsudon (Serves 2)
Prep & Cook Time: 30mins
Serves: 2 pax
Love Japanese Katsu Curry but finding it hard to satisfy your cravings as not many Japanese restaurants served it plant-based? Why not cook up your own? Thankful for the variety of plant-based/vegan meat alternatives that are easily available now, veganising any of your favourite meat dishes is as simple as ABC. Crispy plant-based meat served with a flavourful curry sauce over japanese rice. Oishii!
From Our Kit
– Plant-Based Chicken Schnitzel x 2
– Yellow Onion x 1
– Carrot x 1
– Tomato x 1
– Japanese Curry Block x 2
– Japanese Rice x 160g
– Vegetable Oil x 2 tbsp
From Your Kitchen
– Frying Pan
– Rice Cooker / Saucepan / Pot with Lid
– Chopping Board
– Salt / Sugar / Pepper
How To Cook
1. Wash and pat dry all fresh produce.
2. Peel onion and slice thinly.
3. Peel and cut carrot into chunks.
4. Cut tomato into quarters.
COOK JAPANESE RICE
1. Wash rice grains till water turns clear.
2. For rice cooker, add water to 1 cup rice mark and operate your rice cooker accordingly.
3. For pot cooking method, add about 180ml of water or using your index finger, place it in the pot vertically. The tip of your finger touches the surface of the rice and the water level should be at your first crease/joint of your finger.
4. Put to cook on high heat till water is boiling. Turn heat to low and cook till all liquid is absorbed. Allow rice to steam in the pot covered with heat turned off.
COOK JAPANESE CURRY
1. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pot, add in sliced onions and fry till translucent and fragrant.
2. Add in carrot chunks and toss for a few secs.
3. Add in the Japanese curry blocks and 1 cup water. Stir continuously till curry blocks are dissolved.
4. Cover with lid and simmer till carrot is tender.
5. Add in quartered tomatoes and have a taste and season with salt and pepper to your desired taste.
FINISH YOUR DISH
1. While curry is simmering, heat frying pan with remaining vegetable oil.
2. Add in plant-based chicken schnitzel and panfry over low medium heat till both sides are crispy and golden browned.
3. Remove from pan and cut cutlet into thick strips.
4. Portion rice between plates, scoop curry on the side and top with panfried plant-based chicken schnitzel.