Vegan Japanese Curry Katsudon (Serves 2)
Prep & Cook Time: 30mins
Serves: 2 pax
Love Japanese Katsu Curry but finding it hard to satisfy your cravings as not many Japanese restaurants served it plant-based? Why not cook up your own? Thankful for the variety of plant-based/vegan meat alternatives that are easily available now, veganising any of your favourite meat dishes is as simple as ABC. Crispy plant-based meat served with a flavourful curry sauce over japanese rice. Oishii!
From Our Kit
– Plant-Based Chicken Schnitzel x 2
– Yellow Onion x 1
– Carrot x 1
– Tomato x 1
– Japanese Curry Block x 2
– Japanese Rice x 160g
From Your Kitchen
– Frying Pan
– Rice Cooker / Saucepan / Pot with Lid
– Chopping Board
– Vegetable Oil
– Salt / Sugar / Black Pepper
How To Cook
1. Wash and pat dry all fresh produce.
2. Peel and slice Yellow Onion thinly.
3. Peel and cut Carrot into chunks.
4. Cut Tomato into quarters.
COOK JAPANESE RICE
1. Wash rice grains till water turns clear.
2. For rice cooker, add water to 1 cup rice mark and operate your rice cooker accordingly.
3. For pot cooking method, add about 180ml of water or using your index finger, place it in the pot vertically. The tip of your finger touches the surface of the rice and the water level should be at your first crease/joint of your finger.
4. Put to cook on high heat till water is boiling. Turn heat to low and cook till all liquid is absorbed. Allow rice to steam in the pot covered with heat turned off.
COOK JAPANESE CURRY
1. Heat 1 tbsp of Vegetable Oil in a pot over medium heat.
2. Add in Sliced Onions and fry till translucent and fragrant.
3. Add in Carrot Chunks and toss for a few secs.
4. Add in the Japanese Curry Blocks and 1 Cup of water (240g). Stir continuously till Japanese Curry Blocks are dissolved.
5. Cover with lid and simmer till Carrot Chunks are fork tender.
6. Add in Tomato Quarters, stir to combine.
7. Have a taste of the Curry and season with Salt and Black Pepper to your desired taste.
FINISH YOUR DISH
1. While Curry is simmering, heat frying pan with 1 tbsp of Vegetable Oil over low medium heat.
2. Add in Plant-Based Chicken Schnitzels and pan fry till both sides are crispy and golden browned.
3. Remove from pan and cut into thick strips.
4. Portion Rice between plates, scoop Curry on the side of each plate and top with cut, pan fried Schnitzels.