Vegan Tom Kha Gai (Serves 2)
Prep & Cook Time: 30mins
Serves: 2 pax
Along with Tom Yum Goong, Tom Kha Gai is another popular dish in Thailand. The soup is creamy, tart and savoury that goes perfectly with steamed rice. In this vegan dish, we have replaced chicken with firm tofu that is equally satisfying.
From Our Kit
– Firm Tofu x 2
– Shitake Mushrooms x 100g
– Tomato x 1
– Kaffir Leaves x 4
– Lemongrass Stalks x 2
– Chilli Padi x 3
– Coriander x 20g
– Vegetable Stock x 500g
– Coconut Milk x 200g
– Vegetable Oil x 2 tsp
– Vegan Fish Sauce x 1.5tsp
– Jasmine Rice x 160g
From Your Kitchen
– Frying Pan
– Large Pot
– Rice Cooker / Saucepan with Lid
– Chopping Board
– Salt / Sugar / Pepper
How To Cook
1. Wash and pat dry all fresh produce.
2. Slice chilli padi thinly (if using).
add the number of chilli padi according to your preferred spiciness.
1 – mild spicy / 2 – medium spicy / 3 – very spicy
3. Cut off ends of coriander, chop finely.
4. Cut off ends of lemongrass, cut into 1-inch long pieces. Using the back of your knife, smash all the pieces to release its aroma.
5. Slice mushrooms and cut tomato into wedges.
6. Remove the center stem from kaffir leaves.
7. Place firm tofu between 2 pieces of kitchen paper towels, gently press to remove excess moisture. Cut into bite-size pieces.
1. Wash rice grains till water turns clear.
2. For rice cooker, add water to 1 cup rice mark and operate your rice cooker accordingly.
3. For pot cooking method, add about 180ml of water or using your index finger, place it in the pot vertically. The tip of your finger touches the surface of the rice and the water level should be at your first crease/joint of your finger.
4. Put to cook on high heat till water is boiling. Turn heat to low and cook till all liquid is absorbed. Allow rice to steam in the pot covered with heat turned off.
FINISH YOUR DISH
1. Heat frying pan over medium-high heat, add in half of the vegetable oil.
2. Add in tofu pieces and pan fry them till golden brown on both sides.
3. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Heat a large pot over medium heat.
5. Add in remaining vegetable oil, add in cut smashed lemongrass and fry till fragrant and add in kaffir leaves, toss for another 10secs.
6. Add in sliced mushrooms and toss for 10secs.
7. Add in sliced chilli padi (if using), tomato wedges, coconut milk and vegetable stock and give it a stir.
8. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5mins. Add in pan-fried tofu and simmer for another 5mins.
9. Have a taste and add in vegan fish sauce if you want it more savoury.
10. Remove from heat and top with chopped coriander.
11. Serve Tom Kaa Gai with hot, steamy rice.